I'm a Muslim and American.

Today marks 10 years after one of the most memorable days for people all over the world, but mostly Americans. Everyone remembers exactly what they were doing and how reality hit everyone. I have a story also. I was in 6th grade, I was in Ms. Elledge's class, Social Studies. I went to school, feeling very normal and just went to class and sat down where I usually sat. Then Ms. Elledge saw something or heard something, which caused her to leave the classroom for a brief moment probably to talk to another teacher and clarify about what just happened. She comes back to the class, and starts by saying, guys you are witnessing/living in history. I still remeber when I was in 6th grade and my teacher came back and told us that JFK had just been assasinated. Today students, I tell you that something horrible has happened in New York City. They say terrorists have attacked the twin towers.

Now let's be honest, I don't even think I knew what the twin towers were, or its function in our country. It just seemed terrible that someone would go so far into harming so many people at once. Our teacher quickly turned on the TV in our classroom, and basically class was cancelled. We were watching the news for the rest of class. I had three classes after that, some refused to have the Tv on during class, and others let us watch the news. It was honestly a confusing day, at this point no fingers were pointing to the Muslims yet. I got home, and there was commotion there also. News on all night long. As confused as I was, I do remember crying in my parents room. It was more because I was feeling helpless and sad that so many people were in despair. Overall it was a sad and confusing day. But the aftermath is simply questionable.

I heard in a khutba once that Allah (swt), whatever he does he does it for a reason and for the good. So I tried searching for the good in this horrific event. The only good I found was that so many people became aware of Islam. Yes, at first it was a verbal attack on Muslims. But mostly in my surrounding, people became aware that such a religion exists and started asking questions. Allah gave us a chance to spread his word and we didn't even have to make the initiative. But most importantly it was eye-opening to Muslims also. It woke us up and made us aware that as Americans we need to make a stance.

Today I was eating in the Cafeteria and this girl came up to me and my friend and had some homework assignment that she needed to ask other people questions. My friend easily knows she is an American. But when it came time to asking me from what country I am...I hesitated. I couldn't decide which country I am truly from, either America or India. Realizing I was born here, but my values are Indian. Ultimately I am an American, and I should be proud. But then I remember all of those moments when other Americans have made me feel like I don't belong here. So there was a point where I felt ashamed to call myself an American. My country was the country that thought they can go and invade other countries for no reason.

After starting to wear the hijab, so many Americans have been so supportive and accepting. Much more than my own community at home. Times have changed, from when 10 years ago, many Muslims were afraid to continue wearing their hijab, or concerned that their name might give away that they are Muslims. At airports, it became hard to travel, even if you worked for the government, they would stop you. For some people, being a Muslim became a problem. But then, in the past ten years, it is also true that in this time period there have been the most converts to Islam. Islam became popular, in both good and bad ways, and so many people converted, especially Women. I feel proud to know that us Muslims never imposed our religion on anyone, and that so many people willingly converted after being educated about this unknown religion.

But most importantly, this day is as important as any other day in history where many lives were lost. Innocent lives to say the least. May Allah grant their families an easier life to deal with the hardship of losing someone in such a disaster. And I would also like to take the chance to say that there are many terrorists out there, and extremists have no place in any peaceful religion. 9/11 happened, but there is potential for so many more attacks by terrorists, regardless of race/religion, and we must be prepared for the future and at the same time remember the past, and only remember the past to not repeat our mistakes. And may every day go by where you remember those who have lost their loved ones, not just today!

Thank you for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be a Messenger

Last time to have a First time In College!

School Started...