Be a Messenger

"We need to be the messenger of the messenger." I hear that almost in every speech. Prophet Muhammad (s) gave the most memorable last sermon and where he told each listener that they are responsible to tell others, they are now the messengers of the message from Allah. He left a huge responsibility on the rest of the Ummah, and many people take this lightly. Some are even afraid to tell their colleagues or people they hang out with they are Muslims, I know so many people that changed their name once they moved to America, just so they can fit in. Although this statement was more valid before September 11, 2001. Now, everything has changed and not so many people are ignorant about Islam either. But most importantly, we as Muslims should find every moment to educate others. Not in the mission trip kind of education, just when someone asks, make sure you tell them about Islam and open their eyes a little more, or tell them something they didn't know before. So try it! It is rewarding for you also. Makes you feel proud that you know something about your religion and are able to tell others about it!

I was sitting at work, so early in the morning, so not much to do, just be bored. Someone who always passes by and greets everyone sitting at the desk, stopped this time to ask me why I have henna on today. And I explained that I have it on because of the end of Ramadan celebrations, and he asks me, "Oh, is it because of Eid?" I was kind of caught off guard, usually I do explain the situation by saying Eid, but this time I thought to save the trouble of confusion I'll just say that. Made me realize that I shouldn't have judged or assumed how much he knows about a different culture. But I was also excited that he knew what Eid was, it was almost rewarding to not have to explain it to him.

And in the same day, encountered another guy. I was in the student center, and this guy asked me if I wear *pointing to the head* for religious reasons? And I was like yes, actually I do. And then explained to him about the hijab, and then he asked how long my hair is. And then he saw my hand and was just amazed. He asked if I was an art major, and had to tell him how my drawing skills suck, just some magic happens with henna. And also saw how excited he was, I told him about my henna fundraiser! So maybe I'll be getting business soon!! But it was most definitely rewarding because I didn't have to mention being Indian, that was just understood or in the back. What was the topic was being a Muslim. And that is exactly what I wanted, I want to be recognized for my way of life, not my culture! And I think I've made the biggest step towards it! :)

Comments

  1. This is the second time I've tried to post this, so it is not going to be as cheesy as before, or maybe it will be worse. I just wanted to say that not only are you a messenger to those who are curious about Islam, but you are also messenger to people in general about staying dedicated to one's faith or goals whatever they may be.

    I was really impressed by your confidence in wearing the hijab. Doing something different that makes you stand out from others is uncomfortable. I joke about how you're really hiding your ego with your hijab, but really your pride in yourself and your faith is something that you shouldn't and couldn't hide.

    Your friendship has been a message of inspiration to me. I'm so glad to be friends with the girl in the black hijab!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last time to have a First time In College!

School Started...